The pool and the beach are very popular places to be when the weather gets warm, especially in Texas. Swimming is a great way to get exercise and to enjoy the weather this summer. But it is important to be safe in the water in order to keep you and the people around you safe and healthy. Here are some tips you should always remember when you are in the water, whether you are at the pool, lake, or beach:
- Only swim in designated areas that are supervised by lifeguards.
- NEVER swim alone!
- Teach children to always ask for permission to go near water.
- Make sure at least one adult is supervising children while they are in the water.
- Have children and inexperienced swimmers wear life jackets when they are around water.
- If you have a pool at your home, secure it with a barrier like a tall fence with a gate that locks in order to prevent children from falling in the pool.
- While supervising your children, avoid distractions, and pay close attention to your children at all times.
- Drink plenty of water even if you are not thirsty in order to stay hydrated.
- Protect your skin by applying sunscreen with a minimum protection factor of 15.
Remembering these simple tips can prevent dehydration, sunburn, skin cancer, and accidental death or disability. Keep your family safe and healthy this summer by remembering these safety tips!
Emergi-Care is a fully licensed, freestanding critical care clinic in Houston, Texas, providing the NASA area community with a convenient alternative to overcrowded hospitals and urgent care centers by delivering fast, friendly, high-quality medical treatment in a comfortable neighborhood setting. For more information visit Emergi-Care’s website or Facebook page.