Everyone loves to put their creativity into high gear when creating their Halloween costume and between over the top masks and decorative contact lenses, there are a lot of cool things you can do to make your costume one to remember. But a lot of these cool ideas can also be extremely dangerous, so make sure you play it safe this Halloween with these costume tips:
- Make sure your costume is made with flame-resistant fabrics like polyester or nylon.
- If you plan on trick-or-treating or walking on the street at night, wear bright, reflective colors or add strips of reflective tape to dark costumes so that you will be more visible. Cars will have a hard time seeing you walking on the street if you’re dressed in all black.
- Make sure your costumes aren’t too long so you don’t trip and fall.
- Make sure any swords or canes aren’t too long so you don’t trip and fall.
- Wear makeup, hats, and masks that don’t obscure your vision or make it hard for you to see.
- Be very cautious of what costume make up you choose to use. Test the makeup you plan on using by putting on a small amount on your arm a few days in advance. If you see a rash, redness, swelling or any other type of irritation, do not use the makeup.
- Check the FDA’s list of color additives to see if the makeup additives are FDA approved and if they aren’t, then don’t use it.
- Do not wear decorative contact lenses unless you have an eye prescription from an optometrist or an ophthalmologist. A licensed eye care professional will ensure you not only have contact lenses that are safe to use but that you have also had a proper lens fitting and the correct instructions for wearing the lenses.
Stay safe and healthy this Halloween and you won’t have to spend your Halloween looking at the scary sights in the emergency room. If you do happen to experience an injury while pumpkin carving or trick-or-treating, remember that Emergi-Care can tend to your injuries faster than a hospital. Emergi-Care has the experienced staff and necessary medical equipment to properly care for you and your family this Halloween. Emergi-Care is truly your neighborhood medical facility dedicated to serving you with fast and friendly service so you will get on the road to recovery as soon as possible.
Emergi-Care is a fully licensed, freestanding emergency clinic in Houston, Texas, providing the NASA area community with a convenient alternative to overcrowded hospitals and urgent care centers by delivering fast, friendly, high-quality medical treatment in a comfortable neighborhood setting. For more information visit Emergi-Care’s website or Facebook page.