Halloween can be one of the most fun and one of the most dangerous holidays, especially for kids. Between the extravagant costumes and the bucket loads of candy, it’s a child’s dream and a parent’s worst nightmare. Here are a few tips to make this Halloween, a little safer so that you can spend more time trick-or-treating and less time in the emergency room:
- Plan costumes that are bright and reflective. Make sure that shoes fit well and that costumes are short enough so that kids won’t trip and fall.
- Add reflective tape to costumes and trick-or-treating bags for greater visibility at night.
- Exchange masks for non-toxic makeup and decorative hats. Masks can severely limit or block eyesight which can be extremely dangerous while on the road at night.
- Purchase costumes, wigs, and accessories that are clearly labeled flame resistant.
- If a sword, cane, or stick is part of your child’s costume, make sure it is not sharp or too long, as they can become seriously injured if they trip and fall.
- Do not use decorative contact lenses without an eye exam and a prescription from an ophthalmologist or optometrist. Wearing contact lenses without a prescription can cause pain, inflammation of the eye, and serious eye disorders and infections which may lead to permanent vision loss.
- Always carry a flashlight!
Stay safe and healthy this Halloween so that you won’t have to make a trip to Emergi-Care in your costume. If you do happen to experience an injury while pumpkin carving or trick-or-treating, remember that Emergi-Care can tend to your injuries faster than a hospital. Emergi-Care has the experienced staff and necessary medical equipment to properly care for you and your family this Halloween. Emergi-Care is truly your neighborhood emergency medical facility dedicated to serving you with fast and friendly service so you will get on the road to recovery as soon as possible.
Emergi-Care is a fully licensed, freestanding critical care clinic in Houston, Texas, providing the NASA area community with a convenient alternative to overcrowded hospitals and urgent care centers by delivering fast, friendly, high-quality medical treatment in a comfortable neighborhood setting. For more information visit Emergi-Care’s website or Facebook page.