Chest Pain Treatment in Houston
Emergency Services You Can Trust
Given the fact that heart attacks are serious business, many people fear that chest pain is an indication of a serious problem, and possibly an indicator of a heart attack. That’s not always the case. While chest pain or pressure is indeed one of the symptoms of a heart attack, there are many other causes of chest pain, particularly in individuals below the age of forty.
Our experienced and board certified physicians can quickly distinguish between these possible causes to ensure you get the necessary treatment.
Contact us today to get immediate care for your chest pain in Houston.
Understanding Your Chest Pain
Chest pain should never be ignored or taken lightly. But understanding chest pain symptoms and possible sources can help in seeking proper treatment and working with a physician to properly diagnose the source of chest pain when it occurs.
Depending on the source and cause, chest pain can occur from the neck all the way to the abdomen and can run across the width of the shoulders.
This pain can also present itself in a variety of forms:
- Tight, squeezing sensation
Let’s take a look at some common causes of chest pain.
A heart problem does not always mean a heart attack. Angina is a condition caused by a blockage in the heart blood vessels, which reduces oxygen and blood flow to the heart. The condition causes pain – usually pressure or a squeezing sensation — but does not damage the heart. Angina is often triggered by exercise, excitement, or emotional distress and is usually relieved with rest.
Other heart problems are:
- Myocarditis: Inflammation of the heart muscle
- Pericarditis: Inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart
- Mitral valve prolapse: Condition where a valve in the heart fails to close properly
Lung problems, whether chronic or acute, can often lead to chest pain. Pneumonia, for example, often causes a deep chest ache, and pain often accompanies the other symptoms of asthma.
Other lung problems include:
- Pleuritis: Irritation or inflammation of the lining of the lungs and chest; often causes a sharp pain when you breathe, cough, or sneeze
- Pulmonary hypertension: Abnormally high blood pressure in the lung arteries causes the right side of the heart to work too hard; pain resembles angina
- Pulmonary embolism: A blood clot in the lungs
Many gastrointestinal problems can result in chest pain, particularly esophageal problems since the heart and esophagus are located next to one another and share a nerve network.
Some common gastrointestinal problems that may lead to chest pain are:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (also known as acid reflux): Occurs when stomach contents move back up into the throat; can cause a burning sensation in the chest
- Other esophageal problems: Including muscle contractions, hypersensitivity, and rupture
- Peptic ulcers: Sores in the lining of the stomach or upper part of the small intestine
- Pancreatitis: Inflammation in the pancreas; symptoms include pain in the lower chest that worsens when lying flat but improves when leaning forward
In addition to heart, lung, and gastrointestinal problems, there are many other potential causes of chest pain. If you experience chest pain and are in doubt about the cause, call your doctor right away, especially if it comes on suddenly or is not relieved by anti-inflammatory medications.
EmergiCare Emergency Room is a fully licensed, freestanding critical care clinic in Houston, Texas, providing the NASA area community with a convenient alternative to overcrowded hospitals and urgent care centers by delivering fast, friendly, high-quality medical treatment in a comfortable neighborhood setting.
Call us at (281) 572-5505 today speak with our trained emergency staff. Our team can help you if you think you may be having a heart attack or other kind of chest pain in Houston and beyond.
Friendly, Helpful & Clean- Ibrahim
Everyone was professional and really friendly!- Rusell
Amazing service with TOP notch care from everyone- Patient
In Good Hands- Andrea
10 Stars... Great Experience!- Ris